Sunday, October 25, 2009

Faceplant in the Mud

I set out to explore the snowmobile trail known as ITS 89, or Rt. 89, which connects all the way to Canada. It runs near my house mostly along the powerlines, and they've done a lot of work on the trail over the summer, so I was anxious to check it out.

Long story short, they did a great job on some key boggy sections that now make for some great running. Not all of the dots are connected yet though, but it's coming. I wouldn't mind contacting the trail workers and volunteering at some point, as I know I'll be making more frequent use of these sections in the future.

Anyway, I had contemplating bringing my camera along, and at one point on top of a big hill, I really wish I had... the fall colors looked spectacular. I figure we our pretty far past our peak for colors, but seeing the trees from this higher vantage point was an awesome, colorful sight.

However, a mile or so later I was really glad I didn't bring the camera. During one boggy section of trail that hasn't been worked yet, I was moving along at a pretty good clip. What looked like a shallow puddle in front of me turned out to be a mud pit that literally swallowed my entire left leg. I'm glad I didn't lose a shoe. I got out took a few steps, tripped and did a full-on faceplant in the mud.

After that, I pretty much decided it was better to navigate around this section so I bushwhacked into the woods and found my way around it. I mused I'd run into a trail I knew of up ahead that would lead me back to the powerlines, and I found it pretty much exactly where I thought I would.

I then came to a road crossing, standing there caked in mud waiting for a few cars to pass. I caught one lady's look, an obese female who was looking at me as if I were some sort of monster (the feeling was mutual).

After crossing the road, another troublesome boggy area had been "fixed" and it was a joy to run on it. I eventually reached an impasse though. I could see the trail on the hill ahead of me but couldn't quite figure out how to get to it. I mused I would have enough miles for the day if I turned around here though, so I didn't bother looking too hard and decided to head back.

Great run and a fun little adventure. Overall pace was slowed down because of some of those problem areas, but I was quite pleased when I saw the numbers. On the more runnable sections of trails, I was running at a pretty good pace (for me) despite the mud from yesterday's rain, which helped make up for it (several miles around 8:30/mile pace). Good day.

Ran 10.0 miles @ 9:27/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 145/168
Muddy trails with some very boggy sections, some bushwhacking involved, some dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Mid 50s, sunny.
Brooks Cascadia 3s, shorts, short sleeved shirt, hat.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd seen you come in! This looks like a great trail (minus the deep mud). I'll have to check it out!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Maybe your local radio/TV station will carry the story of 'A BOG MAN' who scarred the fat lady! :]

middle.professor said...

Sounds fun - I'd like to join you for this run in the next couple of weeks. I'd especially like to see how they dealt with the muddy sections.

middle.professor said...

Sounds like a great trail. Let's do it soon!

middle.professor said...

Great description. I'd like to run these trails this fall and check out how they deal with the bogs. I cannot believe my word verification is "peeism"

Lalaith Means Laughter said...

I had to laugh when I went to add this comment..the word verification is messess...sounds like a good word to describe this run. I had 2 quick techie questions for you...I like the elevation profile and mapping you use in your blogs...I would like to have my trail running club at school use this to create their own virtual running journals...is it easy to use?

Scout said...

A camera would have been great to capture the mud-monster capable of frightening fat females not just the fall foliage! Ziplock baggies work to keep cameras/cells dry.

Scout said...

A camera would have been great - not for the fall foliage - to capture the mud-monster frightening fat females! A ziplock baggie is great for just such situations.

PS. I tried leaving this once and it didn't work...

Thomas said...

Coming from a road running background, when I ran a mountain race two months ago, the boggy bit was the one I really didn't like. Others loved it, though.

Sounds like your PF and issues are behaving.