Friday, May 22, 2009

Pre-Race Jot

Just a short three miles this afternoon to keep the legs remembering. Soreness from last weekend is pretty much all gone and the legs felt fresh. Energy felt fantastic as well. However, I noticed the heart rate was still a bit high. Not too concerned, as the heart rate data looks similiar to last year, when I also paced at Massanutten and ran the 50-miler the week after and had a great race.

Something that could also have it going a bit higher is that I downed an Ensure (350 calories) immediately before I began running. Many ultramarathoners use Ensure during races and I wanted to try it. What really brought on the thought was last weekend at Massanutten I noticed a girl coming through each aid station looking great (in more ways than one), full of energy with no signs of bonking, and she was taking Ensure. Seemed to work well for me today. No sign in the slightest of difficulty digesting it, so I think I'll be using it on Sunday.

Oh yeah... I think I found a new race mantra:


Ran 3.0 miles @ 8:08/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 149/162
Paved roads.
Slighly hilly.
Upper 70s, humid.
Shorts, singlet.

2 comments:

bricey said...

best of luck on Sunday and 'ensure' you have a great run!! :)

Love2Run said...

are you sure Bricey's middle name isn't Andrew? Have a great race and kick butt!