Wednesday, May 06, 2009

And So It Begins...

I took the past two days off by design. I felt pretty sore and a little beat up after the hard efforts this past Saturday and Sunday. All good timing though, as I'm now in a mini-taper period to ensure fresh legs for pacing my good buddy Stephen at the Massanutten 100 in just 10 days. Though he thinks he's a little underprepared, I would disagree and say he's well suited for a really good showing.

I'm really looking forward to heading down there to help Stephen out. It was a blast doing it last year for James. Always great to help friends do well at races. On a selfish note, it's also a great training run for me. I'll get in 37 miles in the mountains and get to run through the night, which will bode well for the big show.

A week later I'll be running the Pineland Farms 50-miler. I thought this worked out well last year, as it serves as the second of a one-two punch for long runs and then it's time to taper down for Western States.

So... yessir, it's all coming to a head now. I'm pretty pleased with how the training has gone, especially with me being able to get the foot under control (thanks to Raymond Chiropractic) in time to get in what will hopefully be enough training. I still have that "is it enough?" feeling for the training, but I guess I always have that. The training data is consistant in years past when things have been going well, so I need to keep that in mind as well.

As for today's run... kept it super slow on purpose. Will keep most runs at an easy pace and nothing crazy with the mileage from now until Massanutten.

Ran 5.0 miles @ 8:37/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 133/152
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Lower 60s, mostly cloudy, muggy.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

1 comment:

Love2Run said...

I like your plan and training seems to be going well for you. Pineland is still on my todo list but not this year. Good luck!