Thursday, August 14, 2008

Solid 10

Great run today. A breakfast of a bowl of frosted mini-wheats and a chocolate frosted brownie didn't help me much for the first few miles though. I need to work on my diet. Overall, it's been pretty crappy since the Vermont 100. Too easy to develop bad eating habits during recovery.

Fought off that sluggishness and started feeling good in the third mile so put the pedal down a bit more since it felt comfortable. Hamstring issue was simply non-existent. Enjoyed the climb up to the ridge and the subsequent downhill.

Will likely take tomorrow off, or if I do run I'll just keep it short. Long trail run planned for Saturday with the Trail Monster crew, along with special guest, Raw Food Frank.

I was also remiss about recapping the Bradbury Breaker trail race last Sunday. It went well and I had a blast volunteering. Ian has posted a plethora of pictures on his blog.

Ran 10.2 miles @ 7:39/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A (battery in strap is clearly dying, will replace this weekend)
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Lower 70s, sunny, humid.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.


8 comments:

Love2Run said...

Holey smokes, that's cookin' with hills like that. Cool display of your cumulative pace too!

mindy said...

yee haw!

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! I'm glad you're feeling better! There is nothing like a little tlc and biofreeze.

Luc said...

Great to hear your hammy is back to 100% again. And... man, yer fast! My fastest mile when I was 19 yrs old was 6:56, when I weighed 155 lbs. Since I've started running again, my fastest (timed) mile is 8:04, but of course I'm now @ 205 lbs.

It's crazy for me to think that my current fastest mile is near where you started your run... after yer chocolate frosted brownie. :) Go you!

Damon said...

Jamie,

In Daniels' Running Formula, he suggests that if a certain pace isn't working for whatever reason, you should always try speeding up before giving up. Sometimes, picking up the pace feels better. It seems you found that out yesterday.

I agree with you about the dietary issues, especially during race recovery. I always tend to put on 5-10 pounds in the couple months after a 100 - alcohol and carbs and limited exercise and suddenly my belt is feeling tight.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

chocolate frosted brownie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yummy I have to remember I am in Taper Mode NOT eat junk food til after the race...I almost had some junk food the other night but opted for fish and veggies !

Great 10 bro, glad ur hammy is back!

Speed Racer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Speed Racer said...

I hear you on the post-race slump. Good for you for getting out. I've just been sitting on the couch watching Olympics and getting fat. Your hamstring is healing up and your head and body seem to be back into running so soon! I guess that's why you're such a bad ass runner!