Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Bike Commute

Teachers aren't required to be at the school for prep work until the end of the month, but getting a jump on things makes the start of the school year go exponentially smoother. I've already been in a few times, but now it's time to start going in a bit more regularly. Today I set up the tables and computers, a pretty big task but now my classroom looks like a classroom again.

I'm excited for the start of the school year, and I'm not just saying that. Usually, I start getting the itch around early August, but I'm feeling it more this year. I think that's do in large part to the fact that I took the summer off from grad school (three more classes and I'm done!). One can only feel non-productive for so long.

Weather was pretty ideal today so I figured it would be good to ride the bike in. When school starts, I'd like to bike in at least a few days a week until it gets colder. I'd do it more regularly, but I'm assistant coaching for the cross country team again this year, so I have to take that into consideration. Speed workouts with those guys are a killer!

Fortunately, most of the roads along the route have very wide shoulders that are very bicycle friendly. Much of the route is along Rt. 202, a relatively busy county road, but those wide shoulders negate much of the obstacles and worries traffic may pose.

The rides to and fro were both pretty easy going. I did make it a point to fly down a few of the bigger downhills, reaching 34.4 mph on one of them. Wheeeeeeeee!

Will likely take the next two days off. I noticed the heart rate was still higher than normal for the rides today, and I just feel like I would benefit from a little extra rest.

Total miles = 26.6

Morning:
Biked 13.3 miles @ 16.4 mph/avg (30.8 mph/max)
AHR/MHR - 133/164
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Mid 60s, overcast.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

Early afternoon:
Biked 13.3 miles @ 15.8 mph/avg (34.4 mph/max)
AHR/MHR - 133/161
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 60s, overcast.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

Elevation from home to the school:

Elevation from the school to home:

3 comments:

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

I, too, am excited for the beginning of the school year, albeit for entirely different reasons.

Nice job on the commute. Looks like you were a little more eager for the ride from work than for the ride to :)

The cycling should help build your quads for WS.

Anonymous said...

You're making me feel like a slacker! Though, I can't really do anything at school yet because my office is all over the place. Nice job with the bike in. Sounds like a good plan - You'll save on gas and get your workout in!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

time to get back huh to teach those kids, good for you!! Get those kids edumacated :-)


Bike on!!