Wednesday, October 30, 2013

New Shoes, Rail Trails and Shoulder Blades

New Balance MT1010
A new pair of trail shoes arrived the other day! Yay, joy! This is despite the fact that I can't really run trails because of the heel issue. Talk about teasing a starving dog with a steak. However, I took advantage of a sale and got the older model of the MT 1010's ridiculously cheap. And... I figured the rail trails near the school were tame enough. 

The good news is the shoes are great. They feel a lot like my old New Balance 110s; low to the ground, minimal, flexible, light and a great fit but these guys have more aggressive traction, an upgrade to my only complaint with the 110s. 

The bad news: I somehow pulled a muscle along my shoulder blade at some point today. I wasn't doing anything extravagant. It just somehow started hurting really badly and I can't pinpoint why. This threw me off during the run big time today. Could never find my rhythm and as a result everything just felt totally uncalibrated, even my breathing. I cut it short. 

This isn't just frustrating, it's stupid. It's one thing to cut a run short or miss it because of life issues, a real running injury, illness or what not. But a pulled shoulder muscle is atypical and dumb. 

Whining aside, I suspect it'll be better in a day or two. I've done this kind of thing before. No plans on taking a rest day tomorrow at this point. 

Ran 4.7 miles @ 9:51/mile pace. 
Rail trails. 
Slightly hilly. 
Upper 40s, partly sunny. 
New Balance MT1010, shorts, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, cap. 

No comments: