Sunday, April 22, 2012

Thin Ice

The legs felt very spry this morning. Set out on my 5K route while we have a break from the rain. Nice and cool out. Perfect running weather, in fact. With that, a quicker pace felt really easy and natural but I forced myself to slow down quite a few times. Even still, I probably went too fast overall, but at least it was only three miles.

It got me to thinking how pushing the pace or distance at this early of a stage is a bit like walking out on thin ice. You're taking a big chance and the results can be disastrous. Granted, I did take it pretty easy at Boston, but the variables are different because of the heat. Ensuring I'm in top form at Sugarloaf is primary, ego is secondary.

Rest day tomorrow and probably an additional one during the week as well. Emphasis will still be on easy runs, but I'll do some stride work later in the week and a longer (but not long) run over the weekend. The week after that will see some true speedwork and more mileage, but all erring on the side of caution and adjusting things as I go.

Ran 3.1 miles @ 7:22/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 40s, overcast, slight mist.
Brooks Mach 13, shorts, long sleeved shirt.

2 comments:

unstrung said...

Interesting. Glad you are staying tuned in to what's right. Honestly can't imagine having to spend to much time slowing myself down and sounding apologetic about having gone too fast. :> Watch out, Sugarlaofers...

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Yeah super hard to reel-it-in knowing you might be messing yourself up in the future. Good plan and I'm looking forward to you crushing it!!