Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Western States Goals


Or


I head out to California tomorrow, and spent the morning doing some cleaning and this afternoon and tonight will be about packing and getting my gear and drop bags arranged. The long wait is nearly over and I can't wait to get started!

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my goals and I've made some revisions. There are goals and there is reality, and the two aren't always necessarily the same. I think the reality is I'll probably finish between 25 1/2-26 hours, based on calculations comparing my own VT100 times to others who have done both races. That's logic talking, pure and simple, and it's hard to argue with logic. I appreciate all of the encouragement that I can break 24, but it's time to get real and math rarely lies.

That being said, I'm still going for breaking 24 hours, and that is the goal. Despite what I said above and at the risk of sounding contradictory, I'm not resigned to finishing in 25 1/2 - 26 hours, and will run as hard and as smart as I can for the silver. Never done this course and my training has been going well, so who knows? I'll just give it my best and hopefully it'll all be enough. The only real disappointment would be not walking away with any buckle whatsoever, silver or bronze, so finishing that sucker while giving it my best is all I can really ask. I'll seriously be happy with either so long as that happens.

As for today, just a quick four miles on the roads. Opted not to hit the trails as I need to make sure my three pairs of trail shoes either dry out or remain dry before I pack them away. At least California promises sunshine. Forecasts still call for heat, but are showing a downward trend for the high temp in the canyons, which is great (97 last night, 95 this morning, 94 as of this post).

Ran 4.0 miles @ 8:17/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 137/149
Paved roads.
Mostly flat.
Mid 60s, overcast, light rain at start.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

13 comments:

Sparkplug said...

Jamie, good luck! Can't wait to follow along with your run and hear all about it when you're finished. Have a blast, and run fast :-)

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Hey Jamie, SEE Ya in a few days...

Going to be a blast watching u guys out there, KEEP that focus and my bet is under 24 :-) and by the way we are Ultra runners, logic is not our strong area -- LOL

Kick Ass Bro, YOUR Ready!!

RunSueRun said...

Best wishes Jamie! Hope you have a fun day out there. If you think of it, text me your time. :)

Yer bud, Sue

Laurel said...

Good luck and have fun! Can't wait to see how you do.

Love2Run said...

They both look pretty darn good to me! Run smart and run well!

Andrew said...

I'll be following you via the tracker. Have fun!

Luc said...

Go Jamie!! I'll be rooting for you out there man. You're gonna do great! Can't wait to hear your post race report!! You're time has come... Do great sir! :)

middle.professor said...

Jamie - have fun. stay safe. kick ass. See you at Novare Res when you get back cuz I'll owe you a beer.

Anonymous said...

rock it!

sn0m8n said...

Run like you're being chased by a spruce grouse!

Jamie Anderson said...

Ryan, that is the best strategy yet!

bricey said...

Enjoy and best of luck

Grellan said...

All the best Jamie. Have a great experience and race smart.