Monday, June 08, 2009

Recovery Four

Rest day yesterday did some good. Focus now is resting up and letting the training hopefully culminate to a peak for Western States. Happy with the past four weeks of training with pacing Stephen at Massanutten (37 miles), following that up the next weekend with a 50-mile race, and then the 20 miles of hill repeats on Saturday. Great stretch to hit before taper time, and the training prior to that had been going well also. Hopefully it'll all be enough.

As for today's run, just a little over four in the woods out back. Took some new trails, but had a general idea where they went. I felt sluggish and creaky for the first couple of miles, perhaps partially due to just waking up from an afternoon nap, but by mile three I hit my stride and was cruising for that last mile or so.

May take a rest day tomorrow just to let the legs recover a little more from Saturday's run. I don't think I tapered well enough last year. Not that I tapered terribly or anything, but I think it could have gone slightly better had I allowed a little more rest.

Worth noting I killed my first two deer flies of the season. They weren't out in full force by any means and I'm actually surprised I killed two. Still... theeeeeeey're heeeeeeeere.

Ran 4.2 miles @ 9:34/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 139/158
Technical trails, fire roads.
Very hilly.
Lower 70s, partly cloudy.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

No deer flies here. Keep up the good taper.

pathfinder said...

being brought up on a farm, we always called them horse flies.....either way they are a huge nusance!.......I hate tapering, that is when I aks myself toooooo many questions and feel lazy

Jamie Anderson said...

Kevin, there is a difference between the two: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef511.asp

Both are nasty.