Friday, April 06, 2007

Meditative Feeling

Ran 7.1 miles @ 8:00/mile pace
AHR - 154 MHR - 174
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 30s, windy, partly sunny.

Hit the hills near the school I work at today, and it felt great. This is the longest distance I've run in a while. Overall, it went pretty well. One thing I've always liked about running is the meditative-like state my mind goes into. I'm thinking about everything, anything and nothing, and usually it's all three at once. It's peaceful and relaxing, and I felt it significantly more today than in any other run after my three weeks of rest. That was nice.

Wasn't pushing it on the pace, and just ran by feel as far as comfort levels. Great hills on this course, with the first 2.5 miles climbing a doozy of a hill that gets progressively steeper. Handled that just fine and cruised the rest.

One moment when I was crossing the road my knee did seize up on me a little in the form of a dull feeling that was akin to a sprain. I kept going and the feeling gradually dissolved itself during the run. Good that it didn't get worse, but it also served as a reminder to take it easy until surgery.

2 comments:

Rose said...

I love that meditative state too. It seems to come and go. I don't think you can really do any more damage to your knee, so take it easy, but don't worry :)

Banking Miles said...

Glad that the hill work went ok for you. Hope your knee continues to recover well before the surgery.