Thursday, March 13, 2014

March Weather Madness

Winter is lingering around like an unwelcome house guest. I was just in shorts the other day, with temps dang near close to 50 degrees. Today? Upper teens and snow. Welcome to March.

Yesterday afternoon, a heavy, cold rain was falling. That combined with work craziness in getting ready for school competitions, I opted to make that my rest day. No regrets there.

That rain turned to snow overnight but we only got a few inches. Not too far to the north, they got considerably more, so we dodged a pretty big bullet. I can say that now that it's mid-March. During snowshoe racing season, if a storm misses I feel like we got screwed. Now though, I simply say good. 

So, with those school competitions my day is getting started later than usual and I had time for a morning trail run. I overlayered on purpose, just to be toasty. That was my own little way of sticking it to the man.

Conditions were great though. The snowmobile trails were well packed underneath a fresh coating of an inch or two of powdery snow. Snowfall went from moderate to heavy as the run went on, which was kinda fun.

Feeling pretty good about the half marathon on Saturday, assuming it isn't cancelled/postponed. The reach goal is to break 1:24:00. The main goal is to PR (1:24:41). To be honest, anything less than that will likely be pretty disappointing, as I feel I'm in shape to do it.

Ran 6.3 miles @ 9:36/mile pace.
Packed trails coated with an inch or two of fresh powder.
Very hilly.
Upper teens, overcast, moderate to heavy snowfall.
New Balance MT1010, YakTrax Pro, long tights, windbreaker, fleece pullover, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: