Monday, December 16, 2013

Time vs. MIleage and Snowshoeing

A few weeks ago while running with Ian, he brought up the point that with snowshoe running, looking at time instead of mileage is much more important. I agree. You could even make that same argument with trails since there can be decent variation, but with snowshoe running, it's even more so.

I'm going to take that philosophy to heart a lot more this winter, as I plan on doing quite a bit of snowshoe running. I have five races on the calendar and as long as there's snow, I'll be incorporating a lot of the snowshoes into my training. 

How this affects the Boston training is debatable. No doubt it helps in a big way, but just makes things very tricky to gauge. To kind of help with that, I'll experiment with guesstimating what pace it would translate to if I were running on roads, based on my breathing and effort. 

For example, today's 4.2 mile jaunt out back was probably around a 7:30/mile road pace effort overall, and that's being conservative. It took a little over one hour and six minutes, which translates to an 8.8 mile road run. Keeping that in mind will help with what might look be a sacrifice in mileage, but is in reality high quality hay in the barn for the same amount of time.

The snowshoe run itself was great. I took the same path I did yesterday, so it was at least semi-broken in for the first mile (it snowed some more yesterday after I got back and plus the wind blew things around a bit). After that, it was breaking trail again for a little less than a half a mile. 

That brought me out to the fire road, where a snowmobile had gone by. Sweet! Though it was already starting to get dark, I couldn't resist and did an out and back in its tracks for a little over a mile total and then took the path home. Great run, and I just beat the dark. 

Snowshoe Ran 4.2 miles @ 15:54/mile pace. 
Trails with semi-broken, unbroken and packed powdery snow. 
Very hilly. 
Lower 20s, partly cloudy, windy. 
Dion 121 snowshoes, New Balance MT1010, long tights, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves. 

No comments: