Saturday, July 04, 2009

Vibram Five Fingers and the Ankle

Short run at Pineland today to test things out. Original plan was to go barefoot, but Ian offered to loan me a pair of Vibram Five Finger Flows (originally owned by Chuck). Having never tried them before, I thought this was a great chance to test them out.

I really liked them. I noticed my stride was different right off the bat, striking more with the forefoot as opposed to the heal. It felt comfortable, efficient and natural. I liked it. Really liked it.

Unfortunately, the ankle started barking, and doing so loudly. Same thing I've been experiencing the past month, but more pronounced. It's a sharp pain in a localized area just above the inside ankle bone on the right foot. I'm making a doctor appointment first thing Monday morning to get X-rays. I suspect it might be a stress fracture, but who knows.

Ran 2.4 miles @ ~9:30/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A
Trails.
Very hilly.
Upper 60s, overcast, humid.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

8 comments:

MB said...

You are the first runner I have heard run in the five fingers. They have an office five miles from my house. I checked them out once and found that canoeist\kayakers use them.

Good luck in your health.

mindy said...

Hope you get good news (or some definitive news, anyway) from the doc. I ran on the Oak Hill side later and saw your giant reptilian footprints in the mud. Pretty cool. Great to see you out there today - hope the healing continues and the ankle settles down.

Thomas said...

Fingers crossed you get over this quickly.

Grellan said...

I bught a pair of the five fingers in late 2007 and found them great to run in. Although I heven't run in them consistently. I probably overdid it at the start (my first run was over 5 mileas) Given my recent injuries I think I need to go back on them as they should strengthen up the foot and lower leg muscles.

MB said...

http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/07/time-to-stop-blaming-achilles-injuries.html

article on achilles for you, let me know what you think

Trevor said...

Here is a recent article from Wired magazine on the subject. You might find it interesting.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/07/barefoot/

Ultrathoner said...

It's interesting that you tried out the Vibram Five Fingers almost the same time I did (and after a DNF too).

My plantar fasciitis disappeared afte only two weeks of running trails in them. Still, my feet were not used to rocks. I gave them a break by returning to running shoes for a couple of weeks. My PF came back!

Maybe shoes are THE problem as many barefoot runners suggest?

I now think that orthotics and arch supports are a bunch of hog wash. The key is to strengthen the feet and to learn to run softly and naturally. Shoes allow us to run sloppily; resulting in injury too often.

Good luck with your ankle.

Unknown said...

Did your ankle ever get feeling better? I've got a pair of Vibram KSO and love them, but I've had a persistent ankle soreness since adopting them as my running shoes.