Friday, June 25, 2010

The Sting of a Crappy 5K Race Time

I questioned the wisdom of truly racing a 5k race just being about three weeks into post-injury training, but decided to use it as a tempo run.  It went about as horrible well as I expected, finishing with a 23:07 time.   It was also extremely hot (lower-mid 80s at 9am) and humid, which made it tough. 

Despite the above factors and not going all out, that time of 23:07 stings.  I haven't run a 5k run that slowly in at least seven years.  My PR is 19:05 (and on a very hilly course), so being more than four minutes off that says something.  While I wasn't going all out, I was still pressing pretty hard, so that time is pretty sucky.  

But I also have only done one speed workout in the past three weeks.  And for crying out loud, it's only been three weeks.  I shouldn't feel bad about my time.  Just got to keep working hard and getting the speed and mileage up for MDI in October.  It'll get there, just got to keep working hard and keeping the diet in order (which is much better lately). 

Ran 3.1 miles @ 7:22/mile pace. (23:07) 
w/u - ~1.0 mile c/d - ~.5 miles
Placing: ?
Flat.  
Paved trails. 
Lower-mid 80s, sunny, humid. 
Asics 2130, Shorts, short sleeved shirt. 

5 comments:

John said...

I saw the picture of your gut; that time is admirable!

...and if you were to crack your foot again you'd really kick yourself...somehow.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Patients is a virtue, as they say and that's really true about running and coming back from an injury.
hang in there :]

bricey said...

Rick speaks the truth!! It's early days- 3 weeks and sub 7:30 isn't too bad as a tempo session in hot conditions! Stick with it

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting back to my prior self.

Love2Run said...

Ouch, that must hurt as much as your foot did ;-) We're all chasing our prior selves! Now at least you have an honest baseline for your training!