Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rebound Action

The trials and tribulations of shaking off rust are full of ups and downs.  Saturday's 5k race was discouraging and somewhat pathetic.  Today, totally different story.  11.5 miles at an average of 8:25/mile over mostly trails, with three miles of paved roads and much of it quite hilly.

I guess the legs remember the longer stuff, as the effort was only moderate and I felt terrific throughout.  It felt quite easy and I was having a blast.  Truly felt like a runner again.

The rust isn't the only thing coming off.  Despite not being able to run much this past week because I was in Kansas City for a school competition, I stepped on the scale this morning and it showed 187, losing five pounds from a week ago.  This is mostly attributed to an altered diet, with healthier foods and smaller portions.  It's working which is great.

After today's run, I weighed myself again and I was 182, but that was obviously loss of water weight from sweat (and a bio break).  Still, good to see the range going down.  The goal is to get back in the mid-170s, but I'll be very happy when I'm back to being consistently below the 180 mark.

Ran 11.5 miles @ 8:25/mile pace.
Deer flies killed: 8
Trails, dirt roads, fire roads, paved roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 60s to lower 70s, overcast, humid.
Asics Trail Attacks, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap, Nathan double water bottle carrier with one bottle.

1 comment:

Scout said...

Wow! Sounds like such a great run. Welcome back!