Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Short and Sweet

Gave myself the past few days off from running because of the shin splints. They've gone down but are still there pretty prominently. One thing I think that is helping is foam rolling my calves. Definitely discovered some big knots in both muscles.

Despite the splints, I still did a portion of my short run today barefoot and the other portion in heelless shoes. Begrudgingly, I may do the next run or two in regular shoes to give the splints a bit of a reprieve, but I'll most likely be taking tomorrow off as well since I have grad school after I'm done teaching.

Ran .4 miles @ 9:26/mile pace with heelless Asics GT-2120

Ran 1.3 miles @ 7:03/mile pace barefoot.. broken up in ~400M segments, ran with XC team.

Ran .7 miles @ 7:39/mile pace with heelless Asics GT-2120.

AHR/MHR - N/A (in a rush this morning, forgot to bring the strap)
Paved roads and trails with heeless shoes, grassy field for barefoot.
Slightly hilly.
Lower 70s, overcast, muggy.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

7 comments:

Kevin said...

So you run barefoot? Do you think that helps sometimes?

Jamie Anderson said...

Kevin, running barefoot it's an experiment in progress for me. I've been injured a lot the past few years, so I'm hoping it will help in that arena. Check out McDougall's book "Born to Run" for more on why. Basically, our bodies evolved to run barefoot or near barefoot, not with big clunky trainers that alter our gaits pretty drastically. Many theorize that's why many injuries occur.

Kevin said...

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll have to follow to see how the experiment works!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barefoot Running Coach said...

Hi Kevin,

I'm a barefoot running coach working with hundreds of athletes running barefoot. Going unshod is a GREAT way to reduce injuries and prevent them from ever occurring again. Work into it slowly...stopping BEFORE pain can even be your guide...your muscles may be strong, but not the connective tissue, nor are things used to the more natural, lower-impact stride that will develop.

Do too little at first...5 or 10 minutes here, rest for a day, then build up some more.

Watch your skin too...it lets you know what's going on on the inside...if your feet are tender, so too is everything on the inside...so let the skin be your tachometer...when it's sore, you've redlined.

I hope this helps, and let the grand experiment begin!!!

~Michael Sandler
Coach, The Barefoot Running Club
http://www.meetup.com/Barefoot-Running-Club
www.twitter.com/runswithspirit

Kevin said...

what would be the best type of grass to run on? I'm thinking the greens on a golf course.

Jamie Anderson said...

Kevin, I've been running on the grassy fields on the athletic fields at the local high school and a similar type of grass at a park and it's boded well. I would imagine golf course type grass would be perfect.

My experience is limited in this, so if Michael or any other experienced barefoot runners want to chime in, please feel free. But I echo Michael's point in starting off small and working your way. Beware, as it'll feel so good you'll be tempted to push it, but you really do need to let the foot muscles, tendons and ligaments adjust and give them time.