Tuesday, September 29, 2009

THE OCEAN IS LAVA!!!

When I was a kid growing up in Florida, my brother and I would run from the ebbing and flowing waterline at the beach and pretend it was lava. The object is to stay close to it, but don't let it hit you. Great way to do a run as well. I think a similar game was mentioned in Chris Lear's "Running with the Buffaloes".

So, after my follow-up appointment with the sports doc (ankle is fine and all systems go), I headed to the beach for another barefoot run while playing "The Ocean is Lava" game the whole way. Old Orchard Beach is well suited for this. The sand has very few shells and if you go while the tide is going out, it's well packed. It's also not very crowned or tilted. The tourists are now pretty much gone, so all you have to really look out for is the occasional quahog. Saw several huge ones bigger than my hand that the seagulls were taking interest in.

I ended up with a new distance PR for barefoot running. Felt pretty good the whole way, but I also kept the pace slow. Feet did begin to ache a little bit the last mile, but they're no worse for the wear.

Ran 8.2 miles @ 9:02/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 147/159
Beach with packed sand.
Very flat.
Mid 60s, partly cloudy.
Barefeet, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

2 comments:

middle.professor said...

Good fun! Glad to hear the ankle is back.

Scout said...

My brother and I had "Lost in the Blizzard" we played in big snow storms. Good work out there, too! Glad to hear I'm not the only one still playing games!