Saturday, September 22, 2007

Running up Little Ossipee Hill

Little Ossipee Hill is one of the most prominent geographic landmarks in my town. The fire tower and radio antennas on top of the 1058' hill can be seen from miles around. I tried hiking up it once before with a friend a little over a year ago, but I was unsure of the route and bugs swarmed us, so we turned around. Still, I always thought it would be fun to try to run up it. I've been wanting to do it for a while, and now that the deer flies are gone and hunting season hasn't begun yet, what better day than today? Plus, I knew my way to the top this time, thanks to my friend and neighbor Kate.

photo courtesy of www.w1ckd.com

The run started out innocently enough with three miles of slightly hilly roads that are part of a few of my other routes. I then reached the dirt road at the base of the hill near Little Ossipee Lake and the climb began. I figured it was probably another mile to the top (insert annoying wrong answer buzzer here). A mile into climbing relentlessly up the hill I knew I wasn't even close. Sections were so steep, especially closer to the top, that I was actually forced to walk (gasp!). I loved it though, it was just what I was looking for. So, instead of a mile of buttkicking uphills at the base of the mountain, I got 2.5 miles. Definitely got my money's worth.

I reached the top where I can imagine the views would normally be quite awesome, but alas, it was very foggy this morning and visibility was limited to only about a few hundred feet at best. Still, at the summit was a fire tower, and two radio antennae towers which were neat to see up close. I know one of them hosts a repeater for a local HAM radio group, and another for Hollis Fire and Rescue. The others, I'm not sure. The fire tower was pretty cool also. I climbed about halfway up it, but it gave me the willies so I climbed down. Funny how I can sit on the edge of a 2000' cliff and let my legs dangle off, eat my lunch and not think twice about it, but climbing man-made structures still wigs me out.

Run back down was of course a treat, and I reached the roads again and jaunted home, hitting my last mile split in under seven minutes. Very glad to have done this run and can't believe I haven't done it before. Very scenic route that provides a great workout. Really enjoyed it.



Ran 11.0 miles @ 8:09/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 150/171
Insanely hilly.
Paved roads, dirt roads, jeep roads, trails.
Lower 60s, overcast, foggy.

Mile splits:
1- 7:48
2- 7:40
3- 7:36
4- 8:19
5- 9:37
6- 11:27
7- 8:05
8- 7:47
9- 7:25
10- 7:10
11- 6:48

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice run to the top! It's a fun mountain. You should do Abbott Mountain in Shapleigh sometime. Karen and I are thinking about hiking it soon.
In the meantime... Millions of apples for me!

Phil said...

That's an incredible pace up-hill with a quick recovery on the down hill. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Love2Run said...

That's quite the profile, straight up and then back down again. No wonder you were gasping! Great run ;-)