Sunday, December 10, 2006

Nice Day for a Long Run

Ran 20.6 miles @ 8:00/mile pace
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Weather: Upper 30s to lower 40s. Partly cloudy. Moderate headwind during return.

Today's workout was a good one. It's nice to know I can finish off a 70+ mile week with a long run on a pretty hilly route and do it at a decent pace (for me) while feeling strong. My splits were pretty steady aside from adjustments for hills. I was just plugging along, letting my mind wander, and having a good time.

I've recently read about the "Parrott Predictor" on a couple of other folks' running blogs. It basically states that you can predict your marathon pace based on the fastest 26.2 miles you've run over a week of training. If so, that's somewhat encouraging. This past week puts me roughly around 7:22/mile pace for my fastest 26.2 miles. I need a 7:17/mile pace or faster for my marathon in late February to qualify for Boston. I'm getting there, but still have a ways to go.

Recapping the week:
Monday: 5.0 miles
Tuesday: 15.1 miles
Wednesday: 10.3 miles
Thursday: 11.2 miles
Friday: 0 miles
Saturday: 10.2 miles
Sunday: 20.6 miles

Weekly total: 72.4 miles

3 comments:

MB said...

WTG on that 20-miler! Didn't know that about the Parrot Predictor, good luck.

Andrew said...

The more miles you do, the more accurate the Parrott Predictor. Based roughly on doing 25% of weekly mileage at MP (or average thereof).

Banking Miles said...

The Parrott Predictor? Isn't that used by Sylvester the cat to find where his next meal is? Does the Parrot Predictor take into account that you may run a bit faster during the marathon than your MP training runs? If not, you may be closer to being able to hit below 3:10:59. Knock on keyboard.