Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Wind and the Woods

A sunny day with a brisk, cold wind, courtesy of a cold front moving through the other day. Nice day to be out.

Kate joined me for the first mile of a trail run in the woods out back. After that, she returned the way we came and I was alone with the sounds of the wind flowing through the trees accompanied by the soft thuds of my footsteps and the pants of my breath. With the trees and brush devoid of leaves, one can now easily view much deeper into the woods. I kept my eyes open for wildlife of any sort, but no such luck today.

On the way back, I explored a trail that I hadn't been on in a few years (and it didn't look like anyone else had either). Took the wrong branch of a fork and it kicked me back out on to the fire road. Drat. From there, I decided to lay down the law a little and kicked in a tempo pace for the last mile and a half. Good run over some substantially hilly (700'+ gain) and technical terrain. Really enjoyed it.

Ran 6.3 miles @ 10:05/mile.
Very hilly.
Technical trails, fire roads.
Lower to mid 30s, sunny, windy.
New Balance MT110, long tights, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: