Monday, November 07, 2016

The Beacon

Cross country season and "Daylight Savings Time" have both ended. The ironic juxtaposition of gaining time after work and losing time in the evening added a surreal element to a post-work run. With more free time now, I plan to start running regularly again and building towards some serious goals.

With that, I headed down the Airline. My headlight was strapped on my noggin, but wasn't quite necessary just yet. I ran along, noticing the usual things one misses when driving... how pretty certain houses are, paths leading into woods, a stunning bog with a brook running through it, etc. The headlamp was now needed and I switched it on.

I turned around a little over a mile and a half into the run. Shortly thereafter, I saw what I quickly realized was the lighted sign from the general store across the street from our house, perched on a hill and rising above the trees in the foreground. It was a mere white dot, and I glanced at my GPS and noted that it was a mile away, but given how sparsely populated my area is, there was no doubt that's what it was. There was an eerie comfort in that light. I was running a route I never had before. Granted, it was short, but with the approaching dark I felt farther from home and seeing that beacon offered a little comfort.

Not far from my house, I glanced down a steep slope and noticed the woods were flooded. I saw a beaver lodge and then a silhouette of something moving in the water. I had hoped it was a trout creating ripples in the water, but I quickly realized it was the beaver. I stopped and watched him swim for a few moments before moving on home.

Ran 3.1 miles @ 8:24/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Mid 30s, partly cloudy.
Altras, reflective vest, two long sleeved shirts, tights, buff, headlamp.

No comments: