Friday, September 16, 2016

10th Anniversary of Blogging

It's now been exactly one decade since my first post. A lot has happened in the past ten years. Some highlights (and lowlights), in no particular order, include:
  • Running my first 50 miler
  • Running my first 100 miler
  • Getting over stress fractures
  • Qualifying for Boston 
  • Running Boston
  • 14 month battle with plantar fasciitus
  • Getting married
  • Running several more ultras
  • Lot's of epic mountain runs
  • Moving to the Downeast backwoods
  • Self-publishing a few books
  • And more
Switching gears to the present, time has not been on my side lately. I now teach high school English, and as a result of the added pressure that comes from a new curriculum, I had no plans of coaching cross country. Long story short, the head coach of the school I teach at needed some help, and now I'm filling in for a paid position as an assistant. It's great and I love it, and the only downside is my afternoons are booked and it makes it difficult to run, especially after needing to more or less rush home to look after this new addition to our family and facilitate her getting along with our other cat:


What I should start doing is running early in the morning, at least until cross country season ends. However, my work schedule is a bit atypical, to say the least. Fridays afford a little more freedom, and I got out for a nice five and a half in the woods this morning. The highlight was a huge pile of bear crap smack dab in the middle of the short stretch of paved road that leads to the trails. As a result, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a bit more aware of my surroundings for the rest of the run. 

Ran 5.5 miles @ 9:38/mile pace. 
Trails, logging roads. 
Slightly hilly. 
Lower 40s, sunny. 
La Sportivas, shorts, long sleeved shirt, beanie. 

1 comment:

Sparkplug said...

Sounds like some good chaos to me :) Enjoy it! And enjoy the running when it happens!