Saturday, April 24, 2010

Two Rides - Bradbury and Local

Morning:
Headed up to Bradbury this morning. Was a real treat to ride the trails there for the first time. I've run on them dozens of times, but it was interesting to get a taste from a mountain biking perspective.

I hit the east side trails, taking the Lanzo Trail to Old Tuttle Road, but throwing in the twisty single track extension. Wow. Tough. But fun.

Had to drop down to the 24th gear (aka two feet, to walk with the bike.. a little slang I read the other day that I thought was quite clever) going up the Old Tuttle Road path, as it was very muddy and hard to ride up. However, once up, I enjoyed a rolling decent along the Ginn and Fox East trails. Met up with Knights Wood and then hit the dreaded "O" Trail.

The "O" trail is annoying enough to run on since it twists and turns ridiculously. Biking it was also a big challenge. Super tough. I busted quite a few times and had to walk quite a few sections. It was really slow going, but also fun.

Mountain biked 6.8 miles @ 4.7 mph/avg (14.4 mph/max)
Mostly highly technical, twisty single track.
Very hilly.
Mid 50s to lower 60s, sunny.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

Afternoon
Even though the ride at Bradbury was a lot of work, I was a bit disappointed by the low mileage, so I figured I'd do another ride this afternoon.

I hit the trails to the dirt road along the dump, which is a long steep climb. I biked it last week, and had to walk a part or two of it. Not today, feet were on the pedals the whole climb up. Was quite proud of that.

Reached the top and hit the snowmobile trail along the powerlines, enjoying a pretty fast descent. Took the trails the rest of the way home. Easier trails than this morning and also shorter, so it was a good second ride.

Really glad I can mountain bike until the foot gets better. It's still slowly improving, and will get there eventually.

Mountain biked 5.1 miles @ 9.8 mph/avg (19.8 mph/max)
Trails and dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Mid 60s, sunny.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

No comments: