Friday, August 12, 2016

Running Downeast

A steady, moderate rain fell today around noon, breaking a monotony of heat and drought with gleeful vengeance. I happily ran in it and it made the road run tolerable.

I'm still stuck in slower gears for the moment, but now that I'm regularly getting in double digit or near double digit mileage at least once a week, I think I can safely start to incorporate tempo runs, hill repeats or interval work. 

Ran in Brewer, crossed the bridge to Bangor and ran past Stephen King's house and various landmarks from his book "It" for fun. 

I don't always run with a GPS watch for now, but I did this afternoon:

Ran 9.4 miles @ 8:50/mile pace. 
Paved roads.
Very hilly. 
Mid 70s, overcast, moderate to light rain. 
Altra, shorts, short sleeved shirt. 

I suspect my road run days are somewhat numbered. We close on our new home in the backwoods of Downeast Maine in a week and a half. Plenty of logging roads and trails near our new home, so it seems pointless to run on roads, because running on roads sucks. 

I've been exploring around the soon-to-be new 'hood quite a bit the past several weeks. Here are some pics, all from areas that are running distance from the new house. I'm only slightly excited about this. 













1 comment:

Sparkplug said...

Man, looks like a gorgeous area!! So excited for you guys!